As planned, Microsoft released Edge 97 in the stable channel. Due to the holiday season, Microsoft paused feature updates for the Edge browser for almost two months, and now developers return to the regular schedule (four weeks release cadence).
What is new in Microsoft Edge 97?
Microsoft Edge 97 brings the following changes, improvements, and new features.
- Citations in Microsoft Edge. This new "Citations" feature, now in Preview in Microsoft Edge, gives students a better way to manage and generate citations as they research online. With Citations turned on in Collections or from Settings and more (Alt-F), Microsoft Edge automatically generates citations that students can use later so they can stay focused on their research. When they're done, they can easily compile these citations into a final deliverable.
- Automatic HTTPS. Users can upgrade navigations from HTTP to HTTPS on domains likely to support this more secure protocol. This support can also be configured to attempt delivery over HTTPS for all domains. Note: This feature is a Controlled Feature Rollout. If you don’t see this feature, check back as we continue our rollout.
- Use the current profile to sign into websites when multiple work or school accounts are signed in on a device. When multiple work or school accounts are signed in on a device, users will be asked to choose an account from the account picker to continue their visits to websites.
- Add support for Microsoft Endpoint Data Loss Prevention (DLP) on macOS. Microsoft Endpoint DLP policy enforcement will be available natively on macOS.
- Block WebSQL in 3rd-party contexts. Use of the legacy WebSQL feature will be blocked from 3rd-party frames.
- Control Flow Guard (CFG). Microsoft Edge will start supporting more fine-grained protection by combating memory corruption vulnerabilities and by protecting indirect calls. CFG is only supported with Windows 8 and later.
Microsoft Edge will automatically download the latest version and install it when you restart the browser. You can also force the update by navigating to
edge://settings/help. According to the official documentation, the next feature update will arrive during the week of February 3, 2022.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!