Windows 10 is known for automatically changing the folder view depending on the contents of the folder. While this is useful in some cases, it can be a very annoying feature for users who prefer to configure their folder view types manually. Some users do not like the operating system automatically adjusting the view and overriding their preferences. Let's see how to disable automatic folder type discovery in Windows 10.
Some end users perceive it as a bug which causes File Explorer to not remember their customized view type for folders. Disabling automatic folder type discovery resolves this problem.
To disable automatic folder type discovery in Windows 10, do the following.
- Close File Explorer.
- Open Registry Editor.
- Go to the following Registry key:
Tip: See the article How to jump to the desired registry key with one click.
- Under the Shell key, you will find two subkeys Bags and BagsMRU. You need to delete them.
- Now, recreate the Bags subkey. Right click the Shell key and select "New - Key" in the context menu as shown below.
- Under the Bags subkey you need to create a new subkey, AllFolders. Right click the Bags key and select "New - Key" in the context menu. Name the new key as AllFolders.
- Finally, under the AllFolders key, create a new subkey named Shell.
You will end up with the following Registry path:
- Under the last subkey you created, Shell, create a new string value named FolderType and set it to NotSpecified.
- Sign out and sign in again to your user account to apply the changes you made.
You are done. Windows 10 won't forget or change the folder view type any more. You can customize your folders the way you want now.
To save your time, you can download ready-to-use Registry files:
The undo tweak is included.
You can save your time and use Winaero Tweaker instead. It comes with the following feature:
You can download it here: Download Winaero Tweaker.
Many thanks to our reader "Rensio" for sharing this useful tip.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: