Microsoft today announced updates in a cumulative format for .NET Framework. Previously, this product was receiving updates via Windows Update nearly every month. This has changed starting with Windows 10 October 2018 Update.
Starting with Windows 10 October 2018 Update and Windows Server 2019, .NET Framework fixes will be delivered through a Cumulative Update for .NET Framework.
Microsoft describes the new update format as follows:
- Independent – Released separately from the Windows Cumulative Update
- Cumulative – The latest patch will fully update all .NET Framework versions on your system
- Same cadence – The Cumulative Update for .NET Framework will be released on the same cadence as Windows 10.
The new update format will provide more flexibility for system administrators, who will now be able to selectively deploy frameworks.
Windows 10 users with automatic updates enabled will not notice any difference. Updates for both Windows and the .NET Framework will be silently installed.
If you manage Windows Update manually, you will notice a Cumulative Update for .NET Framework alongside the Windows cumulative update.
Systems and IT Administrators
- System administrators relying on Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) and similar update management applications will observe a new update for .NET Framework when checking for updates applicable to upcoming versions of Windows 10 October 2018 Update and Windows Server 2019.
- The Classifications for the Cumulative Update for .NET Framework remain the same as for the Cumulative Update for Windows and continue to show under the same Windows Products. Updates that deliver new Security content will carry the “Security Updates” classification and updates carrying solely new quality updates will carry either the “Updates” or “Critical Updates” classification, depending on their criticality.
- System administrators that rely on the Microsoft Update Catalog will be able to access the Cumulative Update for .NET Framework by searching for each releases’ Knowledge Base (KB) update number. Note that a single update will contain fixes for both .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.7.2 products.
- You can use the update title to filter between the Windows Cumulative updates and .NET Framework updates. All other update artifacts are expected to remain the same.
NET Framework updates will be delivered in the following way
- Windows 10 October 2018 Update (version 1809) – One Cumulative Update for .NET Framework, alongside the Windows Cumulative Update.
- Windows 10 April 2018 (version 1803) and earlier versions of Windows 10 – One Windows Cumulative Update (which includes .NET Framework updates), per Windows version.
- Windows 7 and 8.1 – Multiple .NET Framework updates, per Windows version.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!