Microsoft today released the long awaited update to its VR platform, Hololens. It had no updates since Windows 10 Anniversary Update, released in 2016. If you own compatible hardware, you can flash the newly released image.
In order to install this preview, you must first download the latest version of the Windows Device Recovery Tool and ensure that your HoloLens is enrolled in the Windows Insider Program.
The procedure is covered in detail HERE.
The key changes in this release include the following.
Features for all users
- Auto-placement of 2D and 3D content on launch
- Fluid app manipulation
- 2D app horizontal resize with reflow
- Expanded voice command support
- Updated Holograms and Photos apps
- Improved mixed reality capture
- Improved audio immersion
- File Explorer
- MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) support
- Captive portal network support during setup
Changes for developers
- Spatial mapping improvements
- Automatic selection of focus point based on depth buffer
- Holographic reprojection modes
- App tailoring APIs
Changes for commercial customers and IT Pros
- Use multiple AD user accounts on a single device
- Change Wi-Fi network on sign-in
- Unified enrolment
- Mail Sync without MDM enrolment
- New OS name when Commercial Suite features are enabled: "Windows Holographic for Business"
- Configurable setup
- Windows Configuration Designer
- Bulk AAD token support
- Developer CSP
- Assigned Access for Kiosk Mode
- OOBE diagnostics
- Local account indefinite password expiry
- MSM sync status and details
The build available for HoloLens is 10.0.17123.1004 (rs4_release_svc_analog.180322-1700).