The Opera browser has recently got a new, high-quality graphical design that is less platform-specific. Codenamed 'Reborn', the new user interface makes Opera look identical on Windows, Linux and macOS. With version 46, the Reborn user interface got a number of improvements.
In Opera 46, there are several tweaks, new icons and layout improvements. Here are the important highlights:
- A new icon for start page customization.
- Speed Dial is now dark when wallpapers are disabled and dark theme is enabled
- ‘View in bookmarks’ button appears in bookmarks pop up if the page has been added already
- It’s now easier to move a window if multiple tabs are opened on macOS. The clickable area between the new tab plus button and the tab menu button got slightly bigger.
- Sound notifications are now turned on when the sidebar is unpinned
- When importing bookmarks, items from the bookmark bar will appear in Opera’s bookmark bar
- Macbook touchbar users can enjoy an emoji-enabled input field
New Start page backgrounds
Opera has teamed up with artists Umberto Daina and Feridun Akgüngör to create a set of new background images. They can be found HERE.
Support for animated PNG
Opera now supports animated PNG, or APNG for short. APNG is a file format that works similarly to GIF. The difference is that APNG is smaller and supports both 24-bit images and 8-bit transparency.
Opera 46 comes with important fixes for the out-of-memory bug when using the built-in VPN feature and for another nasty crash that might appear during startup.
Try Opera 46
As of this writing, Opera 46 is in the beta stage. It comes with an updated Chromium (59.0.3071.26) and also has enabled expensive background tabs throttling. See the flag: opera://flags/#background-tab-throttling-max-delay-30s.
To try out this version, use the following links:
- Opera beta for Windows (Using Opera beta for Windows installer means Opera for Computers EULA is accepted)
- Opera beta for Windows (Portable version)
- Opera beta for macOS
- Opera beta for Linux – deb packages
- Opera beta for Linux – RPM packages