With Windows 10 version 1803, Microsoft has removed the ability to create a new HomeGroup. With the removal of the feature, Windows 10 has issues with showing certain computers over the Windows Network (SMB), leaving them invisible in the Network folder of File Explorer. Here is a quick fix you can apply.
The HomeGroup feature is a simplified solution from Microsoft to provide file sharing ability between all computers in your home network without the hassles of complex permissions, setting up folder shares and accessing them via UNC paths. With HomeGroup, you were able to share photos, music and videos files, various office documents and also printers. Also, you could allow other family members to change files that you have shared.
According to Microsoft, Windows HomeGroup was a terrific feature in the pre-cloud and pre-mobile era, but now it is outdated. The company now offers the following alternatives for file sharing:
- File Storage:
- OneDrive is a cloud-first, cross-device storage and collaboration platform for all of the pieces of data that matter most in your life – like your files, your photos, your videos, and more.
- OneDrive Files On-Demand takes cloud file storage a step further, allowing you to access all your files in the cloud without having to download them and use storage space on your device.
- Share Functionality: For those who prefer not to use the Cloud to connect their devices, the Share functionality for folders and printers allows you to see the available devices and connect them to and from other PCs on your home network.
- Easier Connection: No more remembering cryptic HomeGroup passwords in order to connect to another PC. You can now simply connect through your Microsoft Account email address across devices.
By default, computers in your local network should be visible when you browse for a network device with File Explorer. With recent changes in Windows 10 version 1803 some computers are only accessible via their names or IP addresses. To fix this annoying issue, you can apply a simple workaround.
Fix Network Computers are Not Visible in Windows 10 Version 1803
- Press Win + R to open the Run dialog.
services.mscin the Run box and hit the Enter key.
- In the Services window, scroll down to the Function Discovery Resource Publication service.
- Double-click it to open its properties and set its startup type to Automatic.
- Now, start the service.
You are done!
To save your time, you can use Winaero Tweaker. It comes with the following option:
Turn on the option to fix the issue.
For reference, see the following articles:
- How To Start, Stop or Restart a Service in Windows 10
- How to Disable A Service in Windows 10
- How To Delete A Service in Windows 10