How to Disable New YouTube Layout (Polymer 2019)
Google has rolled out a new design for their YouTube video service. The updated look, known as 'Polymer', features a number of improvements, such as larger thumbnails, faster playlist access, now button icons, and more. If you are not a fun of this restyled look of YouTube, it is possible to go back to the previous look easily.
The key changes of the new Polymer style of YouTbue include:
- High-resolution video preview thumbnails
- A new "Add to queue" feature to quickly create a video playlist. You could see it before in YouTube Android app.
- The ability to exclude a particular channel content from recommendations you see on YouTube.
- Restyled buttons.
- New colors and larger titles.
If you do not like the change happened to the YouTube design, you will be happy to know that Google provides a special parameter which can be added to the URL. It makes it easy to switch between the classic and modern visual style of the service.
To Disable New YouTube Layout (Polymer 2019),
- Open a browser of your choice, e.g. Firefox, Chrome, Opera, etc.
- Visit YouTube using its regular URL
- Now, add the
?disable_polymer=trueportion to the URL address to get
- Voila, you have the classic YouTube design!
disable_polymer parameter to false will restore the new design. I.e. you should use the following URL:
You are done!
If you are not happy with changing the URL every time you need to switch between the new old YouTube styles, you may want to install a browser extension that will do the trick for you.
Extensions are available for Chromium-based browsers, and for Mozilla Firefox.
Using these extensions, you will get the YouTube home page always set to the classic design.
Note that the tricks mentioned in this post are available until Google keeps the classic design option. Sooner or later they will remove it, so it will not be so easy to change the appearance of YouTube.