Windows Vista introduced the Desktop Window Manager and the Aero theme for window borders, title bars and the Start menu. This theme is very beautiful. Windows 7 and Windows Vista came with a blur effect for the transparency used in the Aero theme. This glass effect got removed in Windows 8. Due to user feedback, it was restored in Windows 10 but title bars and window borders continue to use only flat colors. Thankfully, there is a solution for Windows 10 version 1703 "Creators Update".64-bit Windows 10 version.
To get Aero Glass in Windows 10 Creators Update, you need to follow the instructions below.
- Visit the official web site of Aero Glass.
- From the download page, grab the file "64-bit Windows" under the label " Aero Glass for Win8.1+ v1.5.3 - change log ". See the screenshot below.
- Unpack the archive. You can use 7-Zip for that. Place the files in any folder you want. I will extract them to the folder c:\aeroglass:
- Do not run any executable file. Rename the DWMGlass.dll file to DWMGlass.dll.bak as shown below.
- Now you need to download the new DLL file with Creators Update support. It is a BETA version as of this writing, so you need to download it from the following page:
Download beta version of Aero Glass
The most recent build at this time is 126.96.36.1994.
- Download the file under the label "Designed for 10.0.15063". It is suitable for Windows 10 version 1703. The file is named rs2_15063_904_x64dbg.7z
- Extract DWMGlass.dll to the c:\aeroglass folder.
- Now, download this batch file. Save it to the same folder where you store the aero glass app files. Right-click on the batch file in File Explorer and select "Run as Administrator" from the context menu.
- This will apply Aero Glass with blur in Windows 10 Creators Update. No reboot is required. The result will be as follows:
Note: The application is donationware. You need to donate the author to get rid of the desktop watermark as well as generate a license for yourself after donating from this web page. The machine code is unique to every PC.