When you download files from the Internet, Windows adds zone information to it and stores it in the file's NTFS alternate steam. Windows 10 shows you a security warning every time you try to open it. Some file types are fully blocked from opening. SmartScreen, a security feature of Windows 10, causes this behavior. But even if SmartScreen is turned off, you still get a warning and need to unblock downloaded files. To save your time, you can add a special context menu to unblock files faster.
To save your time, you can add a special context menu entries, so you will be able to unblock the selected file or all files in a folder. See the following screenshots:
Here's how it can be done.
To Add Unblock File Context Menu in Windows 10,
- Download the following ZIP archive: Download ZIP archive.
- Extract its contents to any folder. You can place the files directly to the Desktop.
- Unblock the files.
- Double click on the Add Unblock Context Menu.reg file to merge it.
- To remove the entry from the context menu, use the provided file Remove Unblock Context Menu.reg.
You are done!
How it works
The Registry files above utilize the following PowerShell commands:
- For files:
powershell.exe Unblock-File '%1'. The command will be added to the Registry branch
- For all files in the folder (non-recursive):
powershell.exe dir '%1' | Unblock-File
- For all files in the folder (recursively):
powershell.exe dir '%1' -Recurse | Unblock-File
The last two commands will be added to the
Tip: See how to go to a Registry key with one click.
The undo tweak removes them.
The mentioned PowerShell commands are reviewed in detail in the following articles:
- How to unblock files downloaded from Internet in Windows 10
- Batch unblock files downloaded from Internet in Windows 10
If you are interested in learning why Windows is blocking downloaded files, see
- Disable downloaded files from being blocked in Windows 10
- Beware: Chromium-based Browsers Save Download Origin URL for Files
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!