Microsoft has released another Windows 10 Creators Update build for Windows 10 Mobile Insiders. This time it's build 14977 and it's available for mobile devices on the Fast Ring. The desktop variant was postponed this time because of some "blocking bugs" as Microsoft employees referred to them. There's a pretty small amount of changes in this build, but still it's nice to get a new one since the last few times, Mobile builds were released with a huge delay compared to PC builds.
Windows 10 Mobile build 14977 brings EPUB support to the Edge browser, which was available in the desktop version for some time now. And that's pretty much it for the new features. On the other hand, there's quite a few fixes included in this build, so check them out:
- We’ve changed the rendering technology used for many types of UWP app content, so please provide feedback through the Feedback Hub if you notice any new visual glitches in UWP apps.
Alarms sent by 3rd party alarm apps will now break through Cortana’s Quiet Hours – we appreciate all the app developers who logged feedback requesting this, keep it coming!
- We’ve removed the top-level option in Notification Settings to disable alarms on the lock screen – alarm reliability is a top priority for us, and we’ve found this setting was frequently enabled accidentally, without awareness that it would stop alarms from waking the phone when the phone was locked. For those who still wish to enable this setting, it’s will continue to be available under the per-app notification settings.
- Notifications from Settings can now be customized or disabled – option is available under Settings > System > Notifications > Settings
- We have enabled OAuth support for Yahoo Mail accounts. This will improve sync reliability for those accounts, and provide a secure experience while browsing your email.
- We fixed an issue where disconnecting and reconnecting a wired headset while watching a video might result the audio no longer working.
- We fixed an issue Insiders may have experienced where certain music apps would unexpectedly stop playing music after a single song.
- We fixed an issue where closing a tab in Microsoft Edge, exiting the app, and then relaunching it would sometimes result in Edge opening to a blank page with the closed tab’s web address in the URL bar.
- We fixed an issue where the Start Settings page wasn’t rendering when opened on external screen while using Continuum.
- We’ve made a number of translation improvements, including, for French (France and Canada) speakers, fixing a grammatical error in the “Don’t Forget!” text seen when shutting down the phone so it now says “N’oubliez pas”, and for Chinese speakers, fixing an issue where the option to clear the Chinese Input Method Editor’s input history was displaying in English rather than Chinese. If you see any other translations that aren’t as you’d expect, please log feedback – we’re listening!
- We fixed an issue where, if the setting to show notifications above lock had been turned off, booting the device and immediately checking the Action Center while the phone was locked could result in the Action Center not displaying any notifications after the phone had been unlocked.
- We fixed an issue Insiders may have experienced where the Camera app might not appear after using the hardware camera button while the screen was off or while on the Glance screen.
We fixed an issue where Bangla (Bangladesh) keyboard text prediction might stop working after entering character followed by a vowel mark.
As for the known bugs, there are just 3 of them this time, but they might be a deal breaker for some users who isn't using English as the main system language.
- Please avoid attempting to install new languages, keyboards, and speech packs on your phone. There is a chance these downloads may get stuck and not finish downloading. If you have existing languages, keyboards, and speech packs installed – they will carry over when you update to new builds. You can use Windows Device Recovery Tool to go back to Windows Phone 8.1 or Windows 10 Mobile, install any languages, keyboards, and speech packs you need and then update to the latest build in the Fast ring as a workaround.
- Windows 10 phones with 8GB of internal storage such as the Lumia 550 and 650 will likely receive an 0x800700b7 error when attempting to update to this build.
- System related notification toasts (e.g. Bluetooth, USB/Autoplay, etc.) do not work.
If you're an Insider and have your phone set to receive updates from the Fast Ring. you're probably already running build 14977. If not, check for updates on the Windows Update page in the Settings app.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: