Microsoft is releasing a new build from the development branch. Insiders who opted in to Skip Ahead are getting Windows 10 Build 18836. For a specific reason, this build is coming from the 20H1 development branch, and not from 19H2, as was expected. Let's see what's new in this release.
The move is very surprising. Usually, Microsoft releases two feature updates per year and tests them with participants of the Fast and Skip Ahead rings. According to Dona Sarkar, additional testing is required for builds from the 20H1 branch, so the new Build 18836 released over a year before 20H1 is scheduled to RTM.
What's new in Windows 10 Build 18836
General changes, improvements, and fixes for PC
- REMINDER: The new tamper protection setting in the Windows Security app protects your device by helping to prevent bad actors from tampering with the most important security settings. The setting is designed to be on by default, however the default state is not currently in effect for current Insider Preview builds. You may see a new recommendation in the Windows Security app suggesting you turn this setting on.
- We fixed an issue where turning off Location from the Action Center might take multiple clicks to react.
- We fixed an issue resulting in being unable to re-arrange pinned folders in Start’s tile grid.
- We fixed an issue where newly installed apps might not show up in search results.
- We fixed an issue resulting in some Insiders not being able to open Cortana when in Tablet Mode.
- We fixed an issue from the previous flight where right-clicking the desktop would bring up a light colored context menu in dark theme.
- We’re updating the name of the “Windows Light” theme to now be “Windows (light)”.
- We fixed an issue where Cortana’s icon on secondary monitors wouldn’t update colors after switching between light and dark theme.
- We fixed an issue where when using light theme + small icons + a vertical taskbar orientation, text written on the taskbar would stay white and thus wouldn’t be readable.
- We fixed an issue that could result in open apps not being shown on the taskbar (but being visible in Alt + Tab).
- We fixed an issue resulting in build unable to log into WinRE with an admin account in the last couple of flights.
- We’ve made another fix to address reports of devices getting stuck with “Hibernating…” text on the screen on resume from hibernate.
- We fixed an issue resulting in greys having an unexpected slight pinkish/purple-ish tinge on some devices in recent flights.
- We fixed an issue in Ease of Access’s Cursor and pointer settings, mouse pointer size and color are now retained on upgrade.
- We fixed an issue where the Windows Security app may show an unknown status for the Virus & threat protection area, or not refresh properly.
The issue impacting Creative X-Fi sound cards has been fixed.It’s not fixed.
- Launching games that use anti-cheat software may trigger a bugcheck (GSOD).
- While we’ve done some work to improve night light reliability in this build, we’re continuing to investigate issues in this space.
- When performing Reset this PC and selecting Keep my files on a device that has Reserved Storage enabled the user will need to initiate an extra reboot to ensure Reserved Storage is working again properly.
- Some Realtek SD card readers are not functioning properly. We are investigating the issue.
- File Explorer may hang when trying to rename, delete, or move MKV files.
- In Windows Sandbox, if you try to navigate to the Narrator settings, Settings app crashes.
- Creative X-Fi sound cards are not functioning properly. We are partnering with Creative to resolve this issue.
Known issues for Developers
- If you install any of the recent builds from the Skip Ahead and switch to either the Fast ring or the Slow ring – optional content such as enabling developer mode will fail. You will have to remain in the Fast ring to add/install/enable optional content. This is because optional content will only install on builds approved for specific rings.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: