Windows 10 comes with a Game Bar feature, which was part of the Xbox app. Starting with Creators Update version 1703, it is directly integrated into the operating system as a separate component that cannot be easily uninstalled so it's there even if you remove the Xbox app. In recent Windows 10 builds, the app is getting an updated user interface and a number of new features, including the light and dark themes.
The Game Bar provides a special graphical user interface which can be used to record the screen's contents, capture your gameplay and save it as a video, take screenshots and so on. Captured videos are saved as a .mp4 file, and screenshots are saved as a .png file in the folder C:\Users\your username\Videos\Captures.
As earlier, the new version of the feature is based on the Universal Windows Platform (UWP). It is already available in the recently released Windows 10 build 17093, which represents the upcoming Redstone 4 update. Here is how it looks:
Here is the list of changes, available in the udpdated Game Bar.
- A much larger size of the bar with the integration of the acrylic effect.
- The Game Bar now supports light and dark modes.
- The entrance and departure animations have been refreshed.
- The flipping Xbox Live avatar bubble is gone and replaced with a simpler Gamertag readout
- Shortcuts to your Xbox Live profile, Mixer profile, recordings folder, and settings have been added
- A clock has been added, reminiscent of the clock that appeared when opening Charms on Windows 8.
- Some broadcast settings have been promoted to toggle buttons and switches on the Game Bar (e.g. capture video, audio).
Here is how to set the Game Bar theme to Light or Dark.
To set Light or Dark Game Bar theme in Windows 10, do the following.
- Open the Game Bar (Press the Win + G keys).
- Click on the Settings button with a gear icon.
- Under the Theme section, select either Light, Dark, or Current Windows theme.
- The theme will be instantly applied.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: