A PIN is an additional security feature available in Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 to protect your user account and all the sensitive data inside it. When enabled, it can be entered instead of the password. Unlike a password, a PIN does not require the user to press the Enter key when logging in and it is a short 4 digit number. Once you enter the correct PIN, you will be immediately signed in to your Windows 10 account.
If you forgot your PIN, here is how to reset the PIN for your account in Windows 10.
As you may already know, a PIN does not replace the password. To set up a PIN, it is necessary to have a password set for your user account. So, it is possible to sign-in with a password instead of a PIN and reset the PIN value. Here is how.
You can switch between the PIN and the password sign in option using the provided "Sign-in options" link on the logon screen. Click it to choose the way you want to sign in. Click the key icon to sign in using the password.
To Reset PIN For a User Account in Windows 10, do the following.
Once you are signed in with your password, you can reset your PIN in Settings as follows.
- Open Settings.
- Go to Accounts\Sign-in options.
- On the right side, click the I forgot my PIN link under PIN.
- A confirmation screen may appear. Click on the Continue button to confirm the operation.
- The account password verification dialog will appear on the screen. There, enter your current password and click the OK button.
- Now, specify a new PIN for your account. Enter at least a minimum of 4 digits when prompted:
Tip: If your forgot your Windows password, please refer to the article Reset Windows 10 password without using third party tools.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: