Microsoft today simultaneously updates two Insider channels. Insiders in the Dev channel receive Windows 11 build 22449. If you are on the Beta channel, you will get Windows 11 build 22000.176. Here are the changes.
What's new in Windows 11 build 22449 (Dev channel)
- SMB compression , available in Windows Server 2022 & Windows 11. SMB compression allows an administrator, user, or application to request compression of files as they transfer over the network. This removes the need to first deflate a file manually with an application, copy it, then inflate on the destination PC. Compressed files will consume less network bandwidth and take less time to transfer, at the cost of slightly increased CPU usage during transfers. More details here.
- The boot screen now shows a progressive ring animation.
- Right-clicking on the Bluetooth entry in Quick Settings and selecting Settings will now open the main Bluetooth & Devices page in Settings.
- The Windows startup sound will no longer play after an unattended update (aka a scheduled Windows update when you are not at your PC).
- Added a link to the touch keyboard personalization settings from Typing > Touch Keyboard to help improve discoverability.
- Notifications now have an acrylic background.
- Updated animation used in the notification introducing you to Windows Hello if it hasn’t been set up.
- Updated the dialog when closing Windows Sandbox so that it has rounded visuals.
- Adjusted the design of Notification Center to make the app names more visibly separated from the notifications.
The build comes with a long list of general fixes and improvements. Check it here.
A note regarding hardware requirements
In order to receive the coming newest builds from the Dev channel, your PC must meet certain requirements. Those include CPUs with an embedded TPM, support for secure boot, and support VBS and specific VBS capabilities. The generic hardware requirements include >1GHz, 2-core processors, 4GB memory, and 64GB of storage.
Microsoft noted that if TPM 2.0 and CPU family/model criteria are missing, such devices will continue to receive new builds, but some of the new features may stop working or behave incorrectly.
Finally, if the device fails to meet the requirements beyond TPM 2.0 and CPU family, it will have a limited exception to preview Windows 11 builds until general availability on October 5, 2021. They will continue to receive cumulative updates (for the existing installed Windows 11 version). But newer Windows 11 builds won't install, and Windows Update will include the following warning message.
These changes were revealed earlier today in one of Microsoft's twitter accounts led by Brandon LeBlanc.
Windows 11 Build 22000.176 (Beta)
The Taskbar Settings page now includes the options to hide or show the Search, Task View, Widgets and Chat buttons. Right-click on the Taskbar and select “Taskbar settings” to open the Taskbar Settings page.
For the list of fixes and general improvements, see this official blog post.
Microsoft releases a new Store app, version 22108.1401.11.0, to Windows Insiders in the Beta Channel. In comes with the following changes.
- The new Library appearance, with simpler navigation and better performance to boot.
- A new Spotlight design for promoted products.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: