Here's how to show More Pins or More Recommendations in Windows 11 Start Menu. Windows 11 has a brand-new Start menu layout that splits between two sections: pinned apps and recommendations. The latter displays recently open files or apps and additional objects Windows thinks you might find useful.
Many users consider the Recommended section as annoying and unnecessary clutter. To show that Microsoft listens to users’ feedback, Windows developers introduced a new option that allows you to show more icons on the Start menu in Windows 11.
Note: The option to pin more apps to the Start menu is currently available in preview versions of Windows 11. You need to update your system to build 22509 or newer. To check the current Windows 11 build, press Win + R and enter the
Show More Pins on the Start menu in Windows 11
To show more pinned apps in Windows 11 Start menu, do the following.
- Press Win + I to open the Settings app. Alternatively, right-click the Start menu button and select Settings.
- Go to the Personalization section and click Start.
- On the Start page in the Personalization section, you will find three layouts for the Start menu: More pins, Default, and More recommendations. If you want to show more icons on the Start menu, select More pins.
- Close the Settings app.
You are done!
Note that the More pins option does not remove the Recommended section from the Start menu. As of now, Microsoft does not provide such an option. Still, you can remove recommended recent files and apps from the Start menu in Windows 11. After that, the Recommended section will show no apps or files and stay blank.
Finally, you can make Windows 11 display more apps on the Start menu using tweaks in Registry Editor. In a nutshell, tweaks do the same as the Settings app, but in a more complicated way.
Enable more pinned apps on the Start menu in the Registry
- Press Win + R and enter the
regeditcommand to open the Registry editor.
- Go to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced. Copy the path and paste it into the address bar to get there faster.
- Find and double-click the Start_Layout value on the right side of the window.
- Change the value data to the following value.
- 1 = the Start menu to display more apps.
- 0 = the default view.
- 2 = show more recommendations on the Start menu.
- Click Ok to save changes. No need to restart your computer or Windows Explorer, as the system applies new values immediately.
Ready-to-use REG files
Here are ready-to-use Registry files that will let you show more apps on the Start menu in Windows 11 with a single click. There is also an undo file to restore the default values.
- Download files in a ZIP archive using this link.
- Extract files to any folder and unblock them if needed.
- Open the
Show more apps on the Start menu in Windows 11.regand confirm changes in the registry.
- To restore default values, open the
Restore default Start menu layout in Windows 11.regfile.
- If you want more recommendations on the Start menu, use the
Show more recommendations on the Start menu.regfile.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: