Besides the search in Task Manager and the updated Reset PC dialog, recent Windows 11 pre-release builds include one more hidden gem. The Settings app now has a new Energy Recommendations page that allows you to reduce your carbon footprint and extend the battery life by following the tips listed on it. Each of the recommendations includes a one-click action that applies optimal settings, e.g. display turn off time, power scheme, and so on.
Here's how it looks.
The green leaf logo shows how good your current settings. To save your time, it also includes "Apply all" button that changes all the listed options to their recommended values.
Additionally on this page, you can access online help for Efficiency mode in Edge. By enabling it in the browser you can save even more battery power and further reduce device's carbon footprint.
Traditionally for hidden features, you need to use ViveTool to enable the hidden Energy Recommendations page. But keep in mind that it is hidden for a reason. Such features are a work in progress, and may have negative impact on stability of the Settings app and OS. You are enabling any hidden feature in pre-release builds at your own risk.
To enable the new Energy Recommendations in the Settings app, do the following.
Enable Energy Recommendations Page in Windows 11 Settings
- Open this GitHub page in your favorite web browser and download the ViveTool zip archive.
- Extract its contents to the c:\ViveTool folder.
- Right-click the Start button and select Terminal (Admin).
- In either Command Prompt or PowerShell tab of Terminal, execute the following commands, one by one.
c:\vivetool\vivetool /enable /id:39427030
c:\vivetool\vivetool /enable /id:41249924
- Restart Windows 11 after seeing "Successfully set feature configuration" in the console.
- Open the Settings app (Win + I), navigate to System > Power > Energy Recommendations. You will see the new page.
You are done!
At any moment later you can disable the new page by running the following undo commands as Admin:
c:\vivetool\vivetool /disable /id:39427030
c:\vivetool\vivetool /disable /id:41249924
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: