You can disable Snap Layouts for the maximize button in Windows 11 if you find them annoying. The windows snapping feature is not exclusive to the OS, but the Layouts pop-up is a new feature of Windows 11.
The window snapping feature allows the user to resize and re-arrange open windows and apps in the screen. In order to improve it, Microsoft has added a descriptive flyout that allows to quikcly rearrange open apps using one of the four templates.
- windows arranged in two equal areas.
- two windows side-by-side, having the left window wider than the right one.
- a huge window on the left and two vertically arranged windows on the right side.
- an equal-sized grid of four windows.
Snap layouts will automatically appear when you hover over a window's maximize button.
This post will show you how to the disable snap layouts pop-up for the maximize button on Windows 11. It is a per-user option.
Disable Snap Layouts for Maximize Button in Windows 11
- Open the Settings app from the Start menu or with the Win + I hotkey.
- Navigate to System > Multitasking.
- On the right side, turn off (uncheck) the Show snap layouts when I hover over a window’s maximize button to disable the flyout pop-up.
- You can now close Settings app.
You are done. The snapping suggestion will be instantly disabled for your user account in Windows 11.
Using the same steps, you can quickly re-enable it. Do it as follows.
Enable Snap Layouts suggestion for the maximize button
- Press Win + I to open Settings.
- Click on System.
- Select Multitasking on the left.
- In the right pane, place the check mark for the Show snap layouts when I hover over a window’s maximize button option to activate it.
- It is now safe to close Settings if you have no other tasks for it.
Finally, you may be interested in changing the option in the Registry. I have also prepared a couple of files which you can download and use directly.
Turn off Snap Flyout Suggestion in the Registry
You can find the snap layout options under the following Registry path:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced. There, you need to either modify or create a new 32-bit DWORD value named
You can set it to one of the following values.
0 = Disable
1 = Enable
Obviously, enabling Snap flyout doesn't have effect if the Snap Assist feature is disabled on Windows 11. So to get it 100% working, check out that the
WindowArrangementActive string (REG_SZ) value equals
1 under the following key.
Download ready-to-use Registry files
Download the following ZIP archive with two REG files.
Once you downloaded it, extract the files to any folder you like. You can safely place them to your Desktop. The first file, Disable show snap layouts for maximize button on Windows 11.reg will turn off the feature.
The second one, Enable show snap layouts for maximize button on Windows 11.reg, will restore the flyout tip.
While the Settings app applies the changes instantly, in case of the Registry editing you need to either restart or sign-out from you user account to apply the change.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: