If you are using Internet Explorer in Windows 10, you might be surprised by a new search box which appears next to the address bar in recent Windows 10 builds. Here is how to disable this box and get the traditional appearance of Internet Explorer.Internet Explorer 11 is a web browser that comes bundled with many Windows versions. In Windows 10, Microsoft recommends and promotes a new browser called "Edge". The Edge browser is a Universal app. Some users who like Microsoft's browsers prefer to stay with the good, old Internet Explorer, which is a native Win32 app.
Starting with Windows 10 Build 16362, Internet Explorer got a separate search box visible on the right of the address bar. Here is how it looks:
This change also affects Windows 7 and Windows 8 users, because it has been deployed with the appropriate cumulative updates released in September 2017. Today, we will see how to disable this new search box in order to restore the traditional look of the browser.
To hide the search box in Internet Explorer 11, do the following.
- Open Internet Explorer in Windows 10. You can press Win + R to open the Run dialog and type the following in the Run box:
The Internet Explorer browser will be opened instantly.
- Right-click on the empty space of the tab area (the area next to the new tab button). You will see the following context menu:
- Uncheck the item Show tabs on a separate row. This will immediately hide the search box in Internet Explorer.
You need to disable the search box in Internet Explorer with a Registry tweak, this is also possible.
Hide the Search Box in Internet Explorer 11 with a Registry tweak.
- Open the Registry Editor app.
- Go to the following Registry key.
See how to go to a Registry key with one click.
- On the right, modify or create a new 32-Bit DWORD value "ShowTabsBelowAddressBar". Set it to 0 to hide the search box. The value data of 1 will enable it.
Note: Even if you are running 64-bit Windows you must still create a 32-bit DWORD value.
To save your time, you can download the following ready-to-use Registry files:
The undo tweak is included.
Other articles of interest:
- Disable Edge Button in Internet Explorer in Windows 10
- Add a useful Internet Explorer icon to Windows 10 Desktop
- Disable Smiley Button in Internet Explorer in Windows 10
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: