In Windows, you can hide specific drives visible in the This PC folder of File Explorer. This can be done with a Registry tweak. Today, we'll see how it can be done.
When you are using the method described below, drives will remain accessible for users of your PC. While a hidden drive won't appear in File Explorer, the user can type the full path to the folder or file on that drive in File Explorer's address bar to open it, even if it is hidden. The same applies to the Run dialog. Also, all installed apps will have access to the drive's contents. All built-in tools like Disk Management or Disk Defragmenter will be able to work with the drive.
Sign in as Administrator before proceeding. You will need to apply a special Registry tweak.
To hide a drive in Windows 10 File Explorer, do the following.
- Open the Registry Editor app.
- Go to the following Registry key.
See how to go to a Registry key with one click.
- On the right, modify or create a new 32-Bit DWORD value "NoDrives".
Note: Even if you are running 64-bit Windows you must still create a 32-bit DWORD value.
- To hide a single drive, set the NoDrives value data in decimals according to the table below. Pick the desired value for the appropriate drive letter. In my case, I will set NoDrives to 16 to hide the E: drive.
Drive Letter Decimal Value Data Show all drives 0 A 1 B 2 C 4 D 8 E 16 F 32 G 64 H 128 I 256 J 512 K 1024 L 2048 M 4096 N 8192 O 16384 P 32768 Q 65536 R 131072 S 262144 T 524288 U 1048576 V 2097152 W 4194304 X 8388608 Y 16777216 Z 33554432 Hide all drives 67108863
- To hide multiple drives in a row, add up the values for the appropriate drive letters using the table above. Enter the value in decimals. For example, to hide drives C and E, use the value data of 20 (4+16=20).
- To make the changes done by the Registry tweak take effect, you need to sign out and sign in to your user account. Sometimes you may need to restart Windows.
In my case, the result will be as follows. Before applying the tweak, the drive E: is visible:
I can still access its contents using the address bar of File Explorer.
To save plenty of your time, you can use Winaero Tweaker. The app can hide drives just with one click. Select drives you want to hide under File Explorer\Hide drives.
You can download Winaero Tweaker here:
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: