XFCE4 is my favorite desktop environment. I find it the most stable and useful amongst all other desktop environments available for Linux. It is solid, fast and most importantly, it follows the traditional desktop UI paradigm with a taskbar (panel), system tray, desktop icons and a launcher/menu. The latest version 4.14 of XFCE4 is finally here!
This major release of the desktop environment features all the components rewritten in GTK3. It was a long process which took 4 years from the team.
Most of the core components were updated and received a portion of improvements.
What's new in XFCE4 4.14
- The xfwm4 window manager now supports
vsyncvia OpenGL to fix the tearing issue.
- Thanks to GTK3, there are scaling control improvements and HiDPI support.
- Settings now allow configuring color profiles.
- The display configuration tool is updated with a better control layout.
- You can now save display configuration profiles and switch between them.
- You can now specify your primary display which will show the panel, notifications, and the desktop.
- The Appearance tool of Settings allows specifying the default monospace font.
- It also introduces the window scaling option.
- The preview of themes option is now removed from Appearance, since it doesn't work properly with GTK3.
- The notification applet now includes the 'Do not disturb' option, and allows you to clear the log.
- A new plugin to host indicator. It replaces the xfce4-indicator-plugin which was primarily created for Ubuntu.
- The panel finally supports dynamic icon scaling depending on the panel size.
- The updated Window Buttons applet shows a counter on the group of windows.
- XFCE4 now includes a new tool, Panel Profiles, to quickly switch the layout of the panels, backup it, export to a file, and restore it later.
- New Session and Startup options in Settings now supports triggers for shut down, restart, and other events, allows launching scripts and apps when an event occurs.
- Stability and usability fixes for Parole, Gigolo, Thunar, Ristretto, and many other built-in apps.
- A new xfce4-screensaver app, which also serves as a screen locker. It is a fork of MATE screensaver, which is based in Gnome 2 screensaver.
- Then the wallpaper cycling feature is enabled, there is a new 'Next wallpaper' command appears in the desktop context menu.
- The following plugins are now deprecated and not supported: garcon-vala, gtk-xfce-engine, pyxfce, thunar-actions-plugin, xfbib, xfc, xfce4-kbdleds-plugin, xfce4-mm, xfce4-taskbar-plugin, xfce4-windowlist-plugin, xfce4-wmdock-plugi, xfswitch-plugin.
Finally, there is a new default window frame theme for xfvm4. See this screenshot:
Depending on the distro you are using, Xfce 4.14 will become available sooner or later. It is already available in Arch Linux.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: