Two days ago Microsoft released a new Fast Ring build from the 20H1 branch. The released Windows 10 Build 18999 appears to come with a bug that prevents the operating system from shutting down and restarting by putting it in a deadly loop.
Windows 10 build 18999 represents the upcoming version 2020, code named 20H1. The build was released to Insiders in the Fast Ring. It includes the ability to make calls with the Your Phone app, and a number of fixes and improvements.
With this release, the resizable Cortana feature becomes available to a larger number of users. The list of general fixes and improvements for this build includes plenty of changes.
However, there is an issue with this new build, which I can confirm myself. When you shut down the OS, it just hangs. This currently happens to my PC. Here is a workaround that you could try. There are three different solutions which were reported by a number of users.
To Fix Windows 10 Build 18999 Hangs on Shutdown and Restart,
- Open a new elevated command prompt.
- Type and run the famous
- Wait till it finishes. Reboot if prompted.
Some users report that Windows was able to find and fix some errors, and behaves as expected after that. This didn't help me.
An alternative solution - a shutdown shortcut
- Right click the empty space on your Desktop. Select New - Shortcut from the context menu (see the screenshot).
- In the shortcut target box, type or copy-paste the following:
shutdown -g -t 0
- Give your shortcut some name. Click on the Finish button when done.
Now, try to shutdown the OS using the shortcut you have created. This solution also didn't help me.
An alternative solution - shutdown the OS from the lock screen
- Lock your user session (press Win + L).
- Click on the power button, and select the Shut down command.
- The process will take quite a long time, but Windows 10 will shut down.
This is the only method that worked for me. I am expecting Microsoft to fix it with the next build of Windows 10 '20H1'.
Danke an deskmodder.de
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: