Recently I discovered a bug in Windows10. It is not a critical bug, but a bit annoying. After doing a specific sequence of actions, the Desktop turns black and does not show the wallpaper. This bug is related to the "Show Desktop icons" feature. Here is how to fix this bug if it affects you.
- Make sure that the Desktop is showing, and then right click in an empty area of the Desktop, and untick View -> Show Desktop icons in the context menu. The desktop icons will disappear.
- Now right click again on the Desktop, and choose the "Personalize" item from the context menu. If you already have a theme with a single wallpaper applied, select some theme with more than one wallpaper. For example, select the "Flowers" theme and then switch back to the default theme (called the "Windows" theme).
- Close the Personalization window, and the Desktop will turn black without showing any wallpaper!
For some reason, the bug occurs suddenly. Most of the time, the Personalization behavior is as expected.
The issue affected my PC a number of times when I switched from the Desktop slideshow to a single background image.
Here is what you can do to avoid this issue.
First, make sure you don't have the option Show windows Background disabled in the Settings app.
- Open Settings.
- Go to Ease of access -> Other Options.
- Make sure the switch Show Windows Background is set to on. If not, turn on this option.
Now do the following.
- Set the desired wallpaper and theme, even if the desktop has turned black.
- Save all your work and sign out from Windows 10. The next time you sign in, the Desktop will show the proper background image.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: