Mozilla has released a new Firefox version 104. Additionally, the ESR branches have been updated to builds 91.13.0 and 102.2.0. Finally, Firefox 105 is now available in the Beta channel. Firefox 104 is notable for several optimizations made to its power efficiency, it includes Quick Actions, annotations in the built-in PDF viewer, and more.
You can get this new version of the browser using the built-in update checker. Open the menu and navigate to Help > About Firefox. Alternatively, you can download the installer from this page.
What's new in Firefox 104
- Power optimizations: The user interface now goes into power saving mode when the browser window is minimized.
- The profiling interface now includes the ability to analyze the energy consumption associated with the operation of the site. The Energy Analyzer is currently only available on Windows 11 systems and on Apple computers with the M1 chip.
- Picture-in-picture: You can now enable subtitles for Disney+ videos. Previously, subtitles were shown only for YouTube, Prime Video, Netflix, HBO Max, Funimation, Dailymotion, Tubi, Hotstar and SonyLIV and sites using the WebVTT (Web Video Text Track) format.
- Quick Actions: You can now enable an experimental feature that shows built-in feature suggestions as long as you type in the address bar. The suggestions are like "clear cache", "open settings". We have reviewed Quick Actions and how to enable them in a dedicated blog post.
- The built-in PDF viewer now supports an edit mode. It offers features such as drawing graphic labels (freehand drawings) and text comments. You can customize the color, line weight and font size via new buttons in the PDF Viewer panel. To enable the new mode on the about:config page, specify the pdfjs.annotationEditorMode=0 parameter.
- The Android version now offers autocomplete for address forms. It suggests previously entered addresses. You can edit and add addresses in Settings.
- Android: Added support for selective history removal. You can now delete the navigation history for the last hour or the last two days.
Besides, Firefox 104 fixes 10 vulnerabilities, of which 8 are marked as dangerous (6 are summarized under CVE-2022-38476 and CVE-2022-38478) caused by memory management issues such as buffer overflows and access to already freed memory. These issues can potentially lead to execution of a malicious code when the user opens a specially formed web page.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: