Windows has a special location called Recycle Bin where deleted files and folders are stored temporarily, so the user has a choice to restore accidentally deleted stuff or remove it permanently. In this article, we will see how to automate the Recycle Bin cleanup process in Windows 10.
Here is how it can be done.
- Press Win + R shortcut keys together on the keyboard to open the Run dialog. Type or copy-paste the following in the Run box:
The text above is a special shell command which makes File Explorer open the Startup folder directly.
- Right click here to create a new shorcut. Type the following in the Target text box:
cmd.exe /c "echo Y|PowerShell.exe -NoProfile -Command Clear-RecycleBin"
- Name your shortcut as "Empty Recycle Bin" and specify an icon if you want.
After doing the steps above, you can reboot your PC and open your Recycle Bin folder. It will be empty.
Behind this trick is a new cmdlet Clear-RecycleBin which clears the Recycle Bin content. Combined with the "echo Y" console command, it is getting auto confirmation.
Instead of emptying the Recycle Bin automatically every time your start Windows 10, you might want to schedule the appropriate task in Task Scheduler.
- Open Control Panel.
- Go to Control Panel \ System and Security \ Administrative Tools.
- In the newly opened window, double-click the shortcut "Task Scheduler":
- In the left pane, click the item "Task Scheduler Library":
- In the right pane, click on the link "Create task":
- A new window titled "Create Task" will be opened. On the "General" tab, specify the name of the task. Pick an easily recognizable name like "Empty Recycle Bin". You can also fill in the description if you want.
- Under "Configure for", select "Windows 10":
- Switch to the "Triggers" tab. There, click the "New..." button.
Define here the desired time to empty the Recycle Bin.
- Now, switch to the Actions tab. Add a new action by clicking the "New... button".
In Program/script, type the following:
In the box "Add arguments (optional)", type or copy-paste the following text:
/c "echo Y|PowerShell.exe -NoProfile -Command Clear-RecycleBin"
Files stored in Recycle Bin for more than 30 days will be deleted for example as part of this cleanup.
The user can customize this behavior. To do this, click the link "Change how we free up space" under the switch.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: