Classic Volume Control for Windows 11 is my latest app that brings back the good old sound mixer to the latest OS from Redmond. In fact, the classic sound mixer is present in Windows 11, but there is no single option to launch from anywhere in the user interface. My app fixes that inconvenience.
Since Windows 10, Microsoft uses a new sound volume flyout. It is a touch-friendly panel of the Fluent Design. However, not everyone liked how it looks. Thankfully, there was a Registry tweak to Restore the classic sound applet for the volume tray icon.
With Windows 11, Microsoft made plenty of changes to the shell. Notification Center and Quick Actions are now two different flyouts. The latter is renamed to "Quick Settings", a new panel that hosts quick action buttons along with the brightness and volume slider. It appears when you click on the Network/Sounds/Power tray icons, which are now a single big button.
The tweak to restore the classic sound mixer has stopped working with the new taskbar. But the app itself remains available in the OS. So I made a convenient launcher for it.
Classic Volume Control for Windows 11
Classic Volume Control is a freeware and portable app. Its key features are as follows.
- The sound tray icon is interactive and display the actual sound level with its icon and tooltip.
- The icon follows the dark and light taskbar appearance and applies the appropriate icon when you switch between dark and light mode.
- Single-click on the tray icon opens the classic volume slider.
- Right-click on the tray icon opens the familiar menu.
- The right-click menu includes the following items:
- The full sound mixer.
- The classic "Sound" applet on the "Playback" tab.
- Volume control options.
- Items to start the app automatically with Windows, open the About box, and exit the app.
- The full sound mixer.
- The tray icon is HiDPI compatible and doesn't look blurry on modern displays.
The icon fully replicates the behavior of the classic sound icon. So, if you prefer the classic volume mixer, you will feel home with this app.
Download Classic Volume Control
The app is available by the following link.
Download the ZIP archive, extract its contents to any folder of your choice, and run the
ClassicVolumeControl.exe file. The app will directly start and place its icon to the notification area. No installation required, it just works.
While I have created this app specially for Windows 11, it works on all modern Windows versions starting in Windows 7. If you have such intention, you can run it on Windows 10, say on version 21H2.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: