Google is working on one minor change in Chrome's password manager to make your digital life a bit easier. Chrome Canary recently received a new experimental flag that allows dismissing warnings about specific breached passwords.
In case you did not know, Chrome has a built-in tool for scanning saved passwords in data breaches. If the browser detects a leaked password, it sends a notification, urging the user to change the password as soon as possible. Users can toggle off that warning altogether for all passwords, which increases the risks of using unsafe logins. The new flag enables a feature to dismiss breach notifications per password.
You may reasonably ask, what is the point of dismissing such notifications? The new feature will come in handy if you store in Google Chrome passwords for local devices with no access to the Internet. Such devices might use default passwords Google considers unsafe or breached.
Here is how to enable the new flag to dismiss notifications about breached passwords.
Enable Mute & Unmute compromised passwords in Google Chrome
- Install Google Chrome Canary or update it to the latest version.
- Open a new tab and enter
chrome://flagsin the URL box.
- Find the "Mute & Unmute compromised passwords in bulk leak check" flag and select Enabled from a drop-down list. Alternatively, you can use the chrome://flags/#mute-compromised-passwords direct URI.
- Restart the browser to apply the changes.
- After enabling the flag, go to chrome://settings/passwords and click Check Passwords.
- Click the button with three dots next to the compromissed password (if found) and select Dismiss warning.
Important: Do not dismiss warnings for important passwords you use online. If Chrome warns you about data leaks, change the affected passwords immediately.
The improved password manager is currently available for Chrome 100 users in the Canary channel. You can expect the feature to arrive in other channels in a couple of weeks.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: