Microsoft today released Windows 10 build 16176. It represents the upcoming Windows 10 "Redstone 3", the next feature update to Windows 10 Creators Update build 15063. The new build is available now for Fast Ring Insiders. Let's see what has changed.
There is one new feature:
Windows Subsystem for Linux Gains Serial Device Support: Windows COM ports can now be accessed directly from a WSL process!
The list of fixes looks as follows:
- You can now hold down the power button on your device for 7 seconds to trigger a bugcheck. This will only work on newer devices that don’t uses legacy ACPI power buttons.
- Narrator will work again on this build.
- We fixed the issue causing some apps and games to crash due to a misconfiguration of advertising ID that happened in a prior build.
- We fixed an issue resulting in the Start menu and Action Center having a noticeable framerate drop in their animations on certain devices if transparency was enabled and there were open UWP apps.
- We fixed an issue from the previous build where the Action Center could get into a state where dismissing one notification unexpectedly dismissed multiple.
- We fixed an issue where the Clock and Calendar flyout was unexpectedly missing the agenda integration for some Insiders.
- We fixed an issue from the previous build (Build 16170) resulting in Surface Books unexpectedly doing a disk check after waking from sleep due to it bugchecking during sleep.
- We fixed an issue from the previous build resulting in Win32 app text sometimes not rendering, for example in File Explorer, until logging out and back in.
- We fixed an issue where the Extensions Process was suspended inappropriately during Connected Standby, resulting in Microsoft Edge becoming unresponsive on wake if any extensions had been installed.
Here is the list of known issues.
- Apps that use the Desktop Bridge (“Centennial”) from the Store such as Slack and Evernote will cause your PC to bugcheck (GSOD) when launched with a “kmode exception not handled” inerror.
- Some Insiders have reported seeing this error “Some updates were cancelled. We’ll keep trying in case new updates become available” in Windows Update. See this forum post for more details.
- Double-clicking on the Windows Defender icon in the notification area does not open Windows Defender. Right-clicking on the icon and choosing open will open Windows Defender.
- Surface 3 devices fail to update to new builds if a SD memory card is inserted. The updated drivers for the Surface 3 that fix this issue have not yet been published to Windows Update.
- Pressing F12 to open the Developer Tools in Microsoft Edge while F12 is open and focused may not return focus to the tab F12 is opened against, and vice-versa.
- exe will crash and restart if you tap any of the apps listed in the Windows Ink Workspace’s Recent Apps section.
So, Windows 10 Build 16176 is the second "Redstone 3" release. Redstone 3 is expected to bring full x86 app emulation on Qualcomm's ARM processors. This will allow you to run classic Desktop apps on ARM SoCs like Snapdragon 835, which are traditionally used in tablets and smartphones. If you're on the Fast ring, go to Settings -> Update & security -> Windows Update. Click the Check for updates button on the right.