Classic Shell is one of most popular Start menu replacements for Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10 along with a bunch of unique customization options for Explorer and Taskbar. A new version of the program brings a significant number of changes to the app. Here is the list of changes available in this release.
The full change log for Classic Shell 4.2.6 looks as follows:
Major new features
- Classic Start Menu supports fade, slide and random animations also in Windows 7 style.
- New feature to select the text color for the taskbar on Windows 7, 8, 10.
- New feature to set a texture for the Taskbar and Start Menu for Windows 7, 8, 10.
- Settings to set taskbar color and transparency for Windows 7, 8, 10.
- Metro Settings in search results have a "Pin to Start Menu" right-click command.
- New Explorer toolbar commands to toggle hidden files, system files, file extensions, open Folder Options and create a ZIP file.
- New setting for the font of the Explorer status bar (Windows 8 and up).
- Many new skin features:
- Skins can use PNG and JPEG resources
- Textures are supported in Start Menu skins, up to 4 with tiling pattern and a mask
- Skins support logos/emblems drawn on top of the menu background, up to 10 emblems, first 4 can have a mask
- Menu shadow can be disabled as a skin setting
- All Programs tree in Windows 7 style can be completely transparent and use the background from the main menu
- Skin options are completely rewritten and now support colors, bitmaps, and more
- New "Metallic" skin that showcases the new skin features
Minor new features:
- Compatibility with Windows 10 Redstone 1.
- New setting to set hover sound for the Start button.
- If a menu item's Label field has a user-defined accelerator key using an amperstand (&) character, it will be executed when you press the key, ignoring other items that begin with that letter.
- You can hide All Programs item in Windows 7 style menu from Settings UI (previously only as a Group Policy).
- Some Start Menu commands are now available from cmd line. e.g. ClassicStartMenu.exe -cmd restart. Other commands include confirm_logoff, advanced_boot, update_restart, update_shutdown, hybrid_shutdown.
- New setting to select the last item in the shutdown menu instead of the first.
- The Shutdown menu has separate items for shutdown/restart without installing updates.
- The Invert Metro Icons setting now works without a restart of the menu.
- Metro icons correctly update their color when the system color changes (Windows 10).
Bug fixes and minor changes:
- Recent documents will not show redundant items with full path.
- The search thread runs at normal priority instead of "idle" so even if the CPU is busy at startup or doing long-running tasks like video encoding, the search will be fast.
- Fixed a bug where you can select two radio buttons in the skin settings.
- Corrupted/damaged Metro Apps are hidden from the Apps menu.
Tip: You can use this tool to repair Windows problems and improve performance of the OS.
You can download Classic Shell 4.2.6 from its official web site.