Windows Insider Preview is a special program which allows users to receive pre-release versions of Windows 10. By joining it, you will get all the new features that are on the way to the production branch of the OS. If you realize that it is time to leave the program at this point, here is how it can be done.
What is the Windows Insider Preview Program
The Windows Insider Preview program gives users the opportunity to try new apps and OS features before they are rolled out to the general public. You can join the Windows Insider Preview program if the following list is applicable to you:
- You are happy with the ability to try software that's still under development.
- You are OK with pre-release versions of the user interface of the OS.
- You are good at troubleshooting. For example, you know what to do if the OS crashes or becomes unbootable.
- You have a spare computer which you can dedicate to testing pre-release Windows versions.
Stop Receiving Insider Preview Builds
After some time, you might change your mind and decide that you want to stop receiving Insider Preview builds of the OS. There are many reasons for this move. For example, when the OS has reached the production branch and you are happy using the stable version for a while, then you might want to opt out. Or, you might have changed your ISP or data plan and do not want to utilize your bandwidth for huge updates any more. It might also be possible that you need your Insider Preview PC for other important tasks where stability is of importance.
To stop receiving Insider Preview builds in Windows 10, do the following.
- Open Settings.
- Go to Update & security - Windows Insider Program.
- On the right, click on the button Stop Insider Preview builds.
- You will be prompted to change your Insider Preview options. The options include the ability to change your ring (e.g. from the Fast ring to the Slow ring), pause updates, rollback the currently installed build, or stop getting Insider Builds completely.
- To temporarily stop receiving Insider Preview builds, choose the option Pause updates for a bit.
- On the next page, turn on the switch Pause Updates.
- To stop receiving Insider Builds completely, choose the option Keep giving me builds until the next Windows release.
- Confirm the operation and restart your PC.