Windows 10 is able to collect and show the network data usage. The operating system can display the network data amount consumed by Windows, Windows Update, Store and other apps from the last 30 days. In this article, we'll see how to view and reset this information.
To see the network data usage, you need to use the Settings app. Here is how.
- Open Settings.
- Go to Network & Internet and click the Data Usage category on the left.
- On the right, you will see the data usage arranged by the type of the network connection: Wi-Fi, Ethernet etc.
- Click the "View usage details" to see the data usage per app. It looks as follows:
There are a number of other ways to track network usage in Windows 10. Refer to the following article: How to track network usage in Windows 10 without third party tools
Unfortunately, the Settings page has no option to reset the data counter. If you need to reset your network data usage, follow the instructions below.
To reset data usage stats for network in Windows 10, do the following.
- Restart Windows 10 into Safe mode.
- Alternatively, you can disable all installed network adapters. In Settings, go to Network & Internet -> Ethernet if you are using a wired connection. If your network adapter is wireless, go to Network & Internet -> Wi-Fi.
- There, click on the link "Change adapter properties" on the right.
- The Network connections folder will appear on the screen. There, right-click every adapter and select "Disable" in the context menu.
- Now, open the File Explorer app and navigate to the following folder
- Delete all files and folders in the "sru" folder.
- Exit Safe mode or enable network adapters you have disabled earlier.
You just reset your network data usage. Before:
Update: In recent releases of Windows 10, the option to reset the network data usage has been finally added to Settings. To reset it, go to Settings - Network & Internet - Data usage and click the link View Usage Per App on the right. The following page will open:
There, click on the button Reset usage stats.
You can save your time and use Winaero Tweaker. Under Network\Reset Data Usage, you can reset the network data usage with one click in Windows 10. From there, you can also open the appropriate Settings page to see the current statistics and browse its folder with File Explorer.
You can download the app from here: