Windows 10 version 1803 "April 2018 Update" is available for stable branch users. The XPS Viewer is no longer installed by default if you install Windows 10 1803 from scratch (clean install). Here is how to install it manually.
The XPS viewer is an application designed to view XPS documents. It was bundled with Windows starting with Vista. XPS documents are files saved to the XML Paper Specification (.xps file format). In Windows 10 version 1709 "Fall Creators Update" and earlier versions, XPS Viewer is installed by default. After updating to Windows 10 version 1803 via Windows Update, the app remains available. You will still have XPS Viewer, so no action is required.
Microsoft has changed the way you get XPS Viewer in case of a clean install. On a device with Windows 10 version 1803 pre-installed, and after installing Windows 10 1803 from scratch (clean install), XPS Viewer won't be available. To use it, you need to install it manually.
To install XPS Viewer in Windows 10 version 1803, do the following.
- Open the Settings app.
- Go to Apps > Apps & features.
- On the right, click on the link Manage optional features.
- Click on the button Add a feature at the top of the next page.
- Find the optional feature named XPS Viewer in the list under Add a feature.
- Select it and click on the Install button.
You are done. You now have XPS Viewer installed. You can open any xps document stored on your PC or by entering
xpsrchvw.exe in the Run dialog (Win + R).
Alternatively, you can get XPS Viewer installed with DISM
Install XPS Viewer in Windows 10 using DISM
- Open an elevated command prompt.
- Copy-paste or type the following command:
dism /Online /Add-Capability /CapabilityName:XPS.Viewer~~~~0.0.1.0
- After installing the feature, you can close the command prompt.
Uninstall XPS Viewer
To uninstall XPS Viewer, you can use either Settings or the DISM app.
- Go to Settings - Apps & features - Manage optional features. Select XPS Viewer in the list of features and click on Uninstall.
- Alternatively, open the command prompt as Administrator and type
dism /Online /Remove-Capability /CapabilityName:XPS.Viewer~~~~0.0.1.0
This will remove XPS Viewer from Windows 10.