Many Windows 10 complain that their Start menu is laggy and slow. It opens slowly and sometimes it doesn't open at all. This is because the Windows 10 menu uses XAML and WinRT APIs. Recently, I posted a tutorial on how to speed up the Windows 10 Start menu without using third party tools, but it just cannot be as fast as a native app written in C++. Today, I would like to share with you an alternative way, which involves the famous third party app, Classic Shell. Not only does it have far more customization but it operates much faster too.
To get a super fast Start menu with Classic Shell in Windows 10, you need to do the following tweaks to Classic Start Menu settings:
- First install the latest Classic Shell from the official web site. At the moment of this writing, the latest version is 4.2.4 which the developer claims is compatible with Windows 10.
Tip: If you need only the Start menu, you can omit other components from the installer. For example, the additions to Explorer, specifically, the Explorer toolbar that Classic Shell adds are intended to replace the Ribbon so you can completely ignore the Ribbon UI with its many tabs and use the far simpler toolbar. Similarly, the IE addon restores the page title and page loading progress indicator to the status bar. Personally, I didn't need these additions so I decided to not install them so I didn't have to take any steps to disable the toolbar or extra addons.
- Next, click the Start button. you will be asked to pick a menu style. Pick the option "Classic style" and go to the Skin tab.
- On the skin tab, select "No skin" as the current skin:
- Now, tick the check box "Show all settings". Many other tabs will appear in the Classic Shell options dialog:
- Go to the tab "Customize Start Menu" and add/remove items you want to have in the Start menu.
- Now, in the search box, type DPI and change the option "Override system DPI" to 150 as shown below (note: my screen DPI is 150 which is why I chose this setting, your display's DPI can be different):
- In the search box, type "high" without quotes and untick "Highlight newly installed programs":
- Now, in the search box, type "frequent" without quotes. Untick "Track frequency of use" and set the radio button option to "Don't show":
Now you can click the OK button in the Classic Start Menu's settings. Enjoy the fastest Start menu available for Windows 10. It opens instantly and works like a charm.
By disabling highlighting and frequent programs and using no skin, the menu becomes blazingly fast. Just try it yourself.
Classic Shell is a free app, with an open source release model in the past. The source code is not available for recent versions but it is reliable and safe to use.