In our previous article, How to download and install the new Paint 3D app for Windows 10, we mentioned a trick which allows you to bypass the country limitation and access an app in Windows Store which is region-restricted. By changing your region and home location, it can be done. Let's see how.
The region (home) location in Windows is used by various Windows services and third party apps to provide you country-specific information. For example, a news app can show you local news, and a weather app can utilize location information to provide you the actual weather forecast. If you change your location, for example, you move to or visit some other country, you might need to re-configure your home location.
For this, you can use the Settings app or the classic Control panel which is still available in Windows 10 Creators Update Preview.
Change Region and home location in Settings in Windows 10
- Open Settings.
- Go to Time & language -> Region & language.
- On the right, you will find the "Country or region" dropdown list. There, pick the desired location. That's enough to reconfigure Windows 10.
It is a good idea to sign out and sign in back to your account to force all applications to follow the new location you set.
The same can be done via the good old Control Panel.
Change Region and home location using Control Panel in Windows 10
- Open the Control Panel.
- Go to Control Panel\Clock, Language, and Region.
- Click the Region icon.
- In the Region dialog, go to the tab Location:
- Under "Home location", pick the desired place from the dropdown list:
Again, I suggest you to sign out and sign in back to your Windows 10 account. That's it.