XFCE4 is my favorite desktop environment. I find it the most stable and useful amongst all other desktop environments available for Linux. It is solid, fast and most importantly, it follows the traditional desktop UI paradigm with a taskbar (panel), system tray, desktop icons and a launcher/menu. The latest version 4.14 of XFCE4 is finally here!
Most of the core components were updated and received a portion of improvements.
What's new in XFCE4 4.14
- The xfwm4 window manager now supports
vsyncvia OpenGL to fix the tearing issue.
- Thanks to GTK3, there are scaling control improvements and HiDPI support.
- Settings now allow configuring color profiles.
- The display configuration tool is updated with a better control layout.
- You can now save display configuration profiles and switch between them.
- You can now specify your primary display which will show the panel, notifications, and the desktop.
- The Appearance tool of Settings allows specifying the default monospace font.
- It also introduces the window scaling option.
- The preview of themes option is now removed from Appearance, since it doesn't work properly with GTK3.
- The notification applet now includes the 'Do not disturb' option, and allows you to clear the log.
- A new plugin to host indicator. It replaces the xfce4-indicator-plugin which was primarily created for Ubuntu.
- The panel finally supports dynamic icon scaling depending on the panel size.
- The updated Window Buttons applet shows a counter on the group of windows.
- XFCE4 now includes a new tool, Panel Profiles, to quickly switch the layout of the panels, backup it, export to a file, and restore it later.
- New Session and Startup options in Settings now supports triggers for shut down, restart, and other events, allows launching scripts and apps when an event occurs.
- Stability and usability fixes for Parole, Gigolo, Thunar, Ristretto, and many other built-in apps.
- A new xfce4-screensaver app, which also serves as a screen locker. It is a fork of MATE screensaver, which is based in Gnome 2 screensaver.
- Then the wallpaper cycling feature is enabled, there is a new 'Next wallpaper' command appears in the desktop context menu.
- The following plugins are now deprecated and not supported: garcon-vala, gtk-xfce-engine, pyxfce, thunar-actions-plugin, xfbib, xfc, xfce4-kbdleds-plugin, xfce4-mm, xfce4-taskbar-plugin, xfce4-windowlist-plugin, xfce4-wmdock-plugi, xfswitch-plugin.
Finally, there is a new default window frame theme for xfvm4. See this screenshot:
Depending on the distro you are using, Xfce 4.14 will become available sooner or later. It is already available in Arch Linux.