Several Windows 10 users face this unexpected behavior of Windows 10 which is that when searching in the Start Menu or in the Settings app, the search returns no results. If you face this issue, follow the instructions below to fix it.
To fix search in the Settings app and Start Menu in Windows 10, you need to do the following:
- Press Win + R shortcut keys together on the keyboard to open the Run dialog.
Tip: see Shortcuts with Windows (Win) key every Windows 10 user should know.
- Paste the following text into the Run box and press Enter:
- A new Explorer window will be opened. You will see the Indexed folder.
- Right click it and open its Properties.
- In Properties, click the Advanced button on the General tab. The following dialog will appear:
- There, tick the option named "Allow files in this folder to have contents indexed in addition to file properties" as shown below:
If it is already checked, uncheck it, click Apply and check it again and click Apply again. Finally, click OK and close all dialog windows.
You are done. Wait for a few minutes until the indexing service checks all the files in the folder. After that, the search in the Settings app and in the Start Menu should start working again.