How to Enable or Disable Animate Controls and Elements Inside Windows in Windows 10
By default, Windows 10 has many effects enabled for eye candy. You can see animations on the Start screen, Taskbar, opening and closing apps, drop shadow effects, combo boxes sliding open and so on, to make the user interface appear more fluid. Windows 10 uses a number of individual animations for controls you see inside a window, such as scrollbars, buttons, tabs, etc.
The window element animation effects include:
- Slow fade effect of scrollbar arrows.
- Slow fade effect of buttons and tabs on dialog boxes.
- Cyclic pulsating effect on the default button.
You might want to disable these animation effects. Disabling them will slightly improve the responsiveness of the OS.
You can use the GUI to disable window element animations. There are three different options you can use for that purpose, as noted below.
To Disable Animate Controls and Elements in Windows 10,
- Press Win + R shortcut keys together on your keyboard. The Run dialog will appear on the screen.
Tip: See the ultimate list of all Windows keyboard shortcuts with Win keys.
- Type the following in the Run box:
- Press Enter. This will open the Advanced System Properties window directly.
- Click the Settings button under the Performance section. The Performance Options dialog will open.
- Uncheck (disable) the option Animate controls and elements inside windows. It is enabled (checked) by default.
You are done. The change affects the current user account only.
Alternatively, you can use the Settings app.
Disable Control and Element Animations in Settings
- Open Settings.
- Navigate to Ease of Access > Display.
- On the right, disable the option Play animations in Windows.
- The option can be re-enabled at any moment to enable animations.
You are done.
Also, you can use the classic Control Panel app to enable or disable animations inside windows.
Enable or Disable Animations in Windows using Control Panel
- Open the classic Control Panel.
- Click on the Ease of Access icon.
- Click on the Make the computer easier to see link on the right.
- Turn on the option Turn off all unnecessary animations (when possible). This will disable animations.
- Turn on it to enable animations of controls inside windows.