In Windows 10, it is possible to create a backup of your wireless network configuration. This will include authorized SSIDs, saved passwords and other information related to wireless network profiles stored on your PC such as the authentication used. All this information will be stored in a file, so you will be able to restore your wireless connection configuration quickly from that file after you reinstall Windows 10.
Create a backup of wireless profiles in Windows 10
To backup of your wireless network configuration in Windows 10, you need to do the following:
- Open an elevated command prompt.
- First, it is a good idea to see which wireless profiles you have stored in Windows 10. Type the following command:
netsh wlan show profiles
- To backup all profiles at once, enter the following:
netsh wlan export profile key=clear folder=C:\wifi
Note: This command will save all your wireless profiles along with stored passwords. In case you want to create a backup without passwords, just omit the "key=clear" part of the command, i.e.:
netsh wlan export profile folder=C:\wifi
- To back up only a single wireless profile, type the following command:
netsh wlan export profile "type_profile_name_here" key=clear folder=c:\wifi
Again, you can omit the "key=clear" parameter to store the profile without the password.
Restore a wireless profile from a backup in Windows 10
To restore a wireless profile in Windows 10, you need to use one of the following commands:
- To restore the profile and make it available only for the current user:
netsh wlan add profile filename="c:\wifi\profilename.xml" user=current
Replace "c:\wifi\profilename.xml" with the actual path to the desired backup file from which you want to restore.
- To restore the profile and make it available for all user accounts on the Windows PC:
netsh wlan add profile filename="c:\wifi\profilename.xml" user=all
That's it. As you can see, the netsh wlan command makes it very easy to manage your wireless networks. It contains functionality that is missing in the GUI. Using it, you can easily backup and restore wireless profiles in Windows 10.