Windows 10 comes with a built-in Maps app powered by Bing Maps. It is Microsoft's own answer to Google Maps which are available on Android and online. Maps can be useful because of voice navigation and turn-by-turn directions. They can be used to quickly to find directions or locate a building. It is possible to backup and restore its options. This is very useful, because you can restore them when required or transfer them to another PC or user account.
The Maps app can be installed from the Store.
The maps app has landscape mode and supports turn-by-turn directions for quick glanceable information so you can watch your mobile device's screen while you are on-the-go. The maps app also has a nice guided transit mode which comes with notifications for your stops. Offline maps are available even when your device has no internet connectivity. See How to Download Offline Maps in Windows 10.
If you use the Maps app frequently, you may be interested in creating a backup copy of your settings and preferences of the app, so you could manually restore them when required or apply them to another account on any Windows 10 PC.
Here is how it can be done.
To backup the Maps app in Windows 10, do the following.
- Close the Maps app. You can terminate it in Settings.
- Open the File Explorer app.
- Go to the folder %LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.WindowsMaps_8wekyb3d8bbwe. You can paste this line to the address bar of File Explorer and hit the Enter key.
- Open the Settings subfolder. There, you will see a set of files. Select them.
- Right-click on the selected files and select "Copy" in the context menu, or press the Ctrl + C key sequence to copy the files.
- Paste them to some safe location.
That's it. You just created a backup copy of your Maps app settings. To restore them or move to another PC or user account, you need to place them under the same folder.
Restore Maps in Windows 10
- Close Maps. You can terminate it in Settings.
- Open the File Explorer app.
- Go to the folder %LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.WindowsMaps_8wekyb3d8bbwe\Settings. You can paste this line to the address bar of File Explorer and hit the Enter key.
- Here, paste your files from the backup folder. Overwrite the files when prompted.
Now you can start the app. It should appear with all your previously saved settings.
Note: The same method can be used to backup and restore options for other Windows 10 apps. See the articles
- Backup and Restore Camera Settings in Windows 10
- Backup and Restore Alarms & Clock in Windows 10
- Backup and Restore Photos App options in Windows 10
- Backup and Restore Groove Music Settings in Windows 10
- Backup and Restore Weather App Settings in Windows 10
- Backup and Restore Sticky Notes Settings in Windows 10
- Backup and Restore News App in Windows 10
- Backup Remote Desktop App Settings in Windows 10
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: