Microsoft today released Windows 10 build 16170. It represents the upcoming Windows 10 "Redstone 3", the next feature update to Windows 10. The new build is available now for Fast Ring Insiders. Let's see what has changed.
It is a surprise to see a new build for the Fast Ring before the official announcement of Windows 10 Creators Update, which should happen on April 11, 2017. Windows 10 Creators Update RTM build 15063 was released several days ago for all rings including the production branch.
Here is what's new in Windows 10 Build 16170.
- We fixed the issue causing your PC to fail to install new builds on reboot with the error 8024a112.
- We have updated the share icon in File Explorer (in the Share tab) to match our new share iconography.
- We fixed an issue where Cortana Reminders was displayed as a possible share target when Cortana wasn't enabled.
- We fixed an issue where Miracast sessions would disconnect a minute or so after the Connect UI was closed if the connection was a first time pairing.
- We fixed a high-DPI issue when "System (Enhanced)" scaling is enabled so as to now correctly display certain applications that use display graphics accelerated contents.
- Turning the night light schedule off in Settings now turns night light off immediately.
The list of known issues looks as follows.
- Narrator will not work on this build. If you require Narrator to work, you should move to the Slow ring until we get this bug fixed.
- Some Insiders have reported seeing this error “Some updates were cancelled. We’ll keep trying in case new updates become available” in Windows Update. See this forum post for more details.
- Some apps and games may crash due to a misconfiguration of advertising ID that happened in a prior build. Specifically, this issue affects new user accounts that were created on Build 15031. The misconfiguration can continue to persist after upgrading to later builds. The ACL on the registry key incorrectly denies access to the user and you can delete the following registry key to get out of this state: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AdvertisingInfo.
- There is a bug where if you need to restart your PC due to a pending update like with the latest Surface firmware updates, the restart reminder dialog doesn’t pop up. You should check Settings > Update & security > Windows Update to see if a restart is required.
- Certain hardware configurations may cause the broadcast live review window in the Game bar to flash Green while you are Broadcasting. This does not affect the quality of your broadcast and is only visible to the Broadcaster. Make sure you have the latest graphics drivers.
- Double-clicking on the Windows Defender icon in the notification area does not open Windows Defender. Right-clicking on the icon and choosing open will open Windows Defender.
- Surface 3 devices fail to update to new builds if a SD memory card is inserted. The updated drivers for the Surface 3 that fix this issue have not yet been published to Windows Update.
- Pressing F12 to open the Developer Tools in Microsoft Edge while F12 is open and focused may not return focus to the tab F12 is opened against, and vice-versa.
- The Action Center may get into a state where dismissing one notification unexpectedly dismisses multiple. If this happens, please try rebooting your device.
So, Windows 10 Build 16170 is the first "Redstone 3" release. Redstone 3 is expected to bring full x86 app emulation on Qualcomm's ARM processors. This will allow you to run classic Desktop apps on ARM SoCs like Snapdragon 835, which are traditionally used in tablets and smartphones. If you're on the Fast ring, go to Settings -> Update & security -> Windows Update. Click the Check for updates button on the right.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: