How Turn On or Off Hardware-Accelerated GPU Scheduling in Windows 10
If you GPU comes with a driver that supports hardware acceleration in Windows 10, you can turn on the Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling option. This should help reduce latency and improve video output system performance.
Hardware acceleration is a great feature that allows using your computer's graphic card the to perform video (and some other) calculations more efficiently than is possible in software mode, that always utilizes CPU, a general-purpose unit. Graphics card drivers usually implement hardware acceleration to allow quicker, smoother playback of videos and games. Graphics cards are also better at physics and fast mathematical calculations than a CPU.
Before proceeding, ensure that your user account has administrative privileges. Now, follow the instructions below.
To Turn On or Off Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling in Windows 10,
- Open the Settings app.
- Go to System > Display.
- On the right, click on the link Graphics settings. See notes below if you don't have it.
- On the next page, click on Change default graphics settings.
- Finally, turn on of off the Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling toggle option on the next page.
- Restart Windows 10.
You are done.
Note: The Graphics settings won't appear if you GPU drivers or device doesn't support hardware acceleration in Windows 10.
Alternatively, you can apply a Registry tweak.
Turn On or Off Hardware-Accelerated GPU Scheduling in Registry
- Download the following ZIP archive: Download ZIP archive.
- Extract its contents to any folder. You can place the files directly to the Desktop.
- Unblock the files.
- Double click on the
Turn On Hardware-Accelerated Gpu Scheduling.regfile to merge it.
- To undo the change, use the included file
Turn Off Hardware-Accelerated Gpu Scheduling.reg.
You are done!
How does it work
The Registry files above modify the Registry branch
Tip: See how to go to a Registry key with one click.
To add the Customize tab, create a new 32-bit DWORD value
HwSchMode under the mentioned path. Note: Even if you are running 64-bit Windows you must still create a 32-bit DWORD value.
- Set its value data to 1 to Disable the feature.
- Set its value data to 2 to Enable the feature.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: