Modern versions of Windows come with system files and drivers which have been digitally signed. This allows to keep integrity and stability of the OS and quickly find corruped or modified files. There is a built-in tool in Windows 10 which you can use to quickly find modified files and unsigned drivers on your computer.
In case of drivers, an unsigned driver doesn't necessarily point to an issue. Unfortunately, sometimes you are forced to use an unsigned driver because your hardware vendor doesn't ship the proper driver alternative. Smartphones on MTK chips, Kensington trackballs, plenty of other devices often come with unsigned drivers out of the box. To install such drivers, you need to disable the driver signature requirement in Windows 10. For reference, see the article
Knowing unsigned drivers on your computer is important to see if they can be updated to their signed versions.
There is a built-in tool, sigverif.exe, which can be used to verify digital signatures of files and drivers. It creates the following log file C:\Users\Public\Documents\sigverif.txt, which can be used to find unsigned files.
To verify system file and driver digital signatures in Windows 10, do the following.
- Press the Win + R keys together on the keyboard.
- Type the following command in the Run box:
sigverif.exeand press the Enter key.
- If you are not happy with the default log file name and logging options, click on the Advanced button and change the log file name using the appropriate text box control.
- Click on the Start button to start scanning for modified and unsigned files and drivers.
- When finished, the result window will appear, showing the file name, full folder path, date modified, file type, and version values for files found on your computer.
On my computer, all files and drivers are digitally signed:
The result may give you an idea if the files have their digital signatures intact.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!