If you forgot the password for your Windows 10 account and are unable to log in using any other account, then this article will definitely be useful for you. We will see how to reset the account password in Windows 10 without using third party tools. All we need is bootable media with Windows 10 Setup. Follow the instructions below.
You need to use the Windows setup disk with the appropriate architecture - 32-bit or 64-bit depending on which Windows you have installed.
- If you have Windows 10 x86, use Windows 10 x86, Windows 8 x86 or Windows 7 x86 setup disk. You can use the boot media from the previos version of Windows.
- In case you have Windows 10 x64, use Windows 10 x64, Windows 8 x64 or Windows 7 x64 setup disk.
If you are not able to boot from DVD media, that is, your PC does not have an optical drive, you can create a bootable flash drive.
To create a bootable USB disk, see these articles:
- How to install Windows 10 from a bootable USB stick.
- How to create a bootable UEFI USB drive with Windows 10 Setup.
- Boot from the Windows installation disk/USB stick with Windows setup.
- Wait for the "Windows Setup" screen:
- Press Shift + F10 keys together on the keyboard. This will open the command prompt window:
- In the command prompt, type regedit and press the Enter key. This will open Registry Editor.
- Select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE key on the left.After you select it, run the File -> Load Hive... menu command. See more details here: How to access the registry of another user or another OS.
- In the load hive dialog, select the following file:
- Enter any desired name for the hive you are loading. For example, I gave it a name 111:
- Go to the following key:
- Now select 111 on the left and run the File -> Unload hive menu item in Regedit. Close Registry Editor and all open windows.Your PC will be rebooted.
- Eject your bootable media and boot from your PC's local drive. The screen will look like this:
- Type the following command in the opened command prompt:
- To set a new password for your Windows account, type the following command:
net user login new_password
If your login name contains spaces, type it as follows:
net user "your login" new_password
- Type "regedit" to open Regisry Editor.
- Go to the following key:
- Close Registry Editor and the command prompt window to continue.
Watch the whole process in this video:
Tip: you can subscribe to Winaero at Youtube.
The same can be done for Windows 7 and Windows 8.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!