You can disable OneDrive On This Day Notifications in Windows 10 if you are not happy to see them.The On This Day feature reminds you of photos and videos stored to your OneDrive from years past. It is implemented to relive old memories.
OneDrive is the online document storage solution created by Microsoft which comes bundled as a free service with Windows 10. You can use it store your documents and other data online in the cloud. It also offers synchronization of stored data across all your devices.
When you have OneDrive installed and running in Windows 10, it adds a Move to OneDrive context menu command available for files under certain locations included in your user profile like Desktop, Documents, Downloads, etc. Also, OneDrive has the "Files on-demand" feature that can display placeholder versions of online files in your local OneDrive directory even if they were not synchronized and downloaded. Finally, for the files you store in the OneDrive folder you can use the file history feature.
When you have OneDrive running in Windows 10 with your Microsoft Account running, OneDrive will sync your photos and videos you store in its folder. The files will also be available under OneDrive > Photos > On this day. Eventually you will see an On This Day Notification on your Windows desktop.
This post will show you how to disable the "On this day" memories are available OneDrive notification in Windows 10.
How to Disable OneDrive On This Day Notifications in Windows 10
- Click the OneDrive icon in the system tray to open its settings.
- Now, click on the Help and Settings icon in the OneDrive flyout.
- Finally, click on the Settings entry.
- Uncheck (disable) the When "On this day" memories are available option on the Settings tab. It is enabled (checked) by default.
- Click OK to apply the change.
You are done. You can re-enable the option at any moment later to restore this functionality.
Alternatively, the notification can be disabled in the Registry. It has a corresponding option iin the HCKU branch. i.e. for the current user.
Turn off OneDrive On This Day Notifications in the Registry
- Open the Registry Editor app.
- Go to the following Registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\OneDrive\Accounts\Personal. See how to go to a Registry key with one click.
- On the right, modify or create a new 32-Bit DWORD value OnThisDayPhotoNotificationDisabled. Even if you are running 64-bit Windows you must still create a 32-bit DWORD value.
- Set its value to 1 to disable "On this day" notifications.
- A value data of 0 will keep the notification enabled.
You are done.
To save your time, you can download the following ready-to-use Registry files.
The ZIP archive includes the following files.
- Disable OneDrive On This Day memories available notification.reg - this file disables the notification.
- Enable OneDrive On This Day memories available notification.reg - restores the defaults.
Extract the downloaded archive to any folder you like and double-click on the file to apply the change.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!