As you may already know, Microsoft removed the ability to disable Lock Screen in Windows 10 Anniversary for Pro and Home users. This ability is now locked to Enterprise and Education edition users. Here is a workaround which will allow you to disable the Lock Screen feature in Windows 10 Anniversary Update version 1607.
Windows 10 Anniversary Update comes with the updated Group Policy which locks entrain options to Enterprise and Education editions only. This include the ability to disable the Lock screen.
Disable Lock Screen in Windows 10 Anniversary Update version 1607
You can stop the Lock Screen from appearing using a special task in Task Scheduler.
Here is how.
- Open Control Panel.
- Go to Control Panel \ System and Security \ Administrative Tools.
- In the newly opened window, double-click the shortcut "Task Scheduler":
- In the left pane, click the item "Task Scheduler Library":
- In the right pane, click on the link "Create task":
- A new window titled "Create Task" will be opened. On the "General" tab, specify the name of the task. Pick an easily recognizable name like "Disable Lock Screen".You can also fill in the description if you want.
- Tick the checkbox named "Run with highest privileges":
- Under "Configure for", select "Windows 10":
- Switch to the "Triggers" tab. There, click the "New..." button.
Add the first trigger "At log on".
Add the second trigger "On workstation unlock of any user".See the following screenshot:
- Now, switch to the Actions tab. Add a new action by clicking the "New... button".
In Program/script, type the following:
In the box "Add arguments (optional)", type or copy-paste the following text:
add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\SessionData /t REG_DWORD /v AllowLockScreen /d 0 /f
- On the Condition tab, untick options
- Stop if the computer switches to battery power
- Start the task only if the computer is on AC power
See the following screenshot:
The task you just created will set the AllowLockScreen DWORD value at the following Registry key:
When it is set, it disables the Lock Screen. However, every time you login to your account or unlock the computer, the value data is automatically set to 1. So, the task you created will set that parameter back to 0 every time you sign in or unlock the workstation.
You are done. Now, let's check out this trick in action.
First, run the task at least once from the Task Scheduler.
Now, lock your workstation by pressing Win + L shortcut keys on the keyboard. The lock screen should not appear.
Watch this video to see the trick in action:
Tip: subscribe to our Youtube channel HERE.
Save you time with Winaero Tweaker
WIth version 0.6.0.5, Winaero Tweaker does everything mentioned above automatically. Just tick the checkbox as shown below and you are done!
Download Winaero Tweaker HERE.
Update: Here is an alternative way to disable the Lock screen in Windows 10 Anniversary Update.
- Press Win + R shortcut keys together on the keyboard to open the Run dialog.
- In the Run box, type the following:
- The Local Security Policy app will appear on the screen. Select Software Restriction Policies in the left.
- If you see "No Software Restriction Policies Defined", then right click the Software Restriction Policies and select "New Software Restriction Policies" in the context menu.
- Now, go to Software Restriction Policies -> Additional Rules:
- Right-click on the right pane and select New Path Rule:
- Under Path, paste
- Click OK.
The lock screen will be disabled. To enable it back, you need to remove the rule you created. This method is not perfect:
- The lock screen will re-appear if you reboot your PC.
- The lock screen will re-appear if your display entered the power saving mode.
From my point of view, the Task Scheduler trick is better.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!