Another update is available to Fast Ring Insiders. Build 18358 released with a number fixes and improvements. There's no new features in this update. However, there is a new Windows Defender Application Guard browser extension available to users of Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox.
What's new in Windows 10 Build 18358
General changes, improvements, and fixes for PC
- FOR GAMERS: We have addressed an issue with Game Mode that may degrade game streaming and recording quality.
- Here’s the latest on trying out our new Windows gaming technology:
- Still haven’t had a chance to get the game State of Decay for free (for a limited time)? We’ve added even more slots! Whether you’ve tried it in earlier builds or haven’t had the chance yet, these instructions have everything you need.
- Installed the Insider version of State of Decay already? We’ll be trying out another update later today. To get it, launch the Store app, click […] and then “Downloads and Updates”. Once installed, you shouldn’t see any difference in the game – it’s just a test update – but please let us know if anything doesn’t work!
- We fixed an issue that could result in the thumbnails in Alt + Tab sometimes becoming offset.
- We fixed an issue where certain upgrade paths could result in the contents of the Recycle Bin being left under Windows.old.
- We fixed an issue resulting in upgrades failing at 18% or 25% and rolling back for some Insiders.
- We fixed an issue resulting in some Insider experiencing green screens with error KERNEL_SECURITY_VIOLATION.
- We fixed an issue resulting in some apps using the Windows Installer failing to install recently.
- Microsoft Store app updates do not automatically install on 18356+. As a workaround, you can manually check for, and install updates via the Microsoft Store app. Open Select “…” > “Downloads and updates” > “Get updates”.
- Launching games that use anti-cheat software may trigger a bugcheck (GSOD).
- Creative X-Fi sound cards are not functioning properly. We are partnering with Creative to resolve this issue.
- Some Realtek SD card readers are not functioning properly. We are investigating the issue.
- We’re investigating an issue preventing VMware from being able to install or update Windows Insider Preview builds. Hyper-V is a viable alternative if available to you.
Known issues for Developers
- If you install any of the recent builds from the Fast ring and switch to the Slow ring, optional content such as enabling developer mode will fail. You will have to remain in the Fast ring to add/install/enable optional content. This is because optional content will only install on builds approved for specific rings.
Windows Defender Application Guard Extension
Also, Windows Defender Application Guard is now available as a browser extension in Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox.
The extensions for Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox automatically redirect untrusted navigations to Windows Defender Application Guard for Microsoft Edge. The extension relies on a native application that we’ve built to support the communication between the browser and the device’s Application Guard settings.
When users navigate to a site, the extension checks the URL against a list of trusted sites defined by enterprise administrators. If the site is determined to be untrusted, the user is redirected to an isolated Microsoft Edge session. In the isolated Microsoft Edge session, the user can freely navigate to any site that has not been explicitly defined as trusted by their organization without any risk to the rest of system. With our upcoming dynamic switching capability, if the user tries to go to a trusted site while in an isolated Microsoft Edge session, the user is taken back to the default browser.