Thunderbird 78.2.2 is now available for download. Version 78.2.2 will be offered as an update package to the Thunderbird 78 branch. There is no corresponding update package for version 68, so you cannot get Thunderbird 78.2.1 automatically installed over Thunderbird 68 or older releases.
Thunderbird is my preferred email client of choice. I use this app on every PC and on every operating system I use. It is stable, contains all the features you need, supports add-ons and also comes with a useful RSS reader. I am using Thunderbird for many years and never felt the need to look for an alternative.
Thunderbird 78 doesn't support classic XUL add-ons any more, but includes some of their features natively. E.g. on Windows you can minimize the app to the system tray.
Thunderbird 78.2.2 comes with the following changes.
What's new in Thunderbird 78.2.2
Drag and Drop reordering of recipient pills now supported
- OpenPGP: Some signature states reported as "mismatch" now report "unknown"
- Chat: Non-functional Twitter support removed
- OpenPGP: Improvements to key importing when failures occur
- OpenPGP: Decryption did not work with certain HTTP proxy configurations
- OpenPGP: "Discover keys online" option did not work when searching for an email address
- Email filters reported failure when moving a message to original folder
- Message filters: Filters shown as enabled in configuration dialog were not always enabled
- vCard 2.1 attachments not handled properly
- Sending messages sometimes failed when recipients were in LDAP address book
- Non-functional help menu items removed
- Calendar: Event reminder details were unreadable
- Windows 10 high-contrast theme fixes
- More theme fixes and improvements
- MailExtensions: Adding custom headers with mail.compose.other.header did not work
The release notes are available here.