Despite the Charms Bar being an annoyance on the Desktop, in Windows 8.1, Microsoft has only decided to allow users to disable the top left corner (also known as Switcher) and the top right corner, so when you point your mouse pointer to those corners, the Metro Charms Bars will not annoy you. However, the bottom right corner remains. If you find no use for the Charms Bar especially on the Desktop, you might be interested in disable that bottom right corner too.
In this article, we will look how to use settings in Windows 8.1 to disable active corners. Also, we will look at a workaround to disable the bottom right corner.
As mentioned above, Windows 8.1 offers a native way to disable the top left corner and the top right corner. To disable them, right click on the taskbar and choose "Properties":
In the next window, switch to the navigation tab, and untick the following options:
- When I point to the upper-right corner, show the charms
- When I click the upper-left corner, switch between my recent apps.
This will disable the top left corner and the top right corner. But what about the bottom right corner?
You can use my app, Winaero Charms Bar Killer. You don't even need to configure any settings, it will kill the bottom right corner right after it starts.
This app can also kill the top left corner, the top right corner and the bottom right corner in Windows 8.1 and Windows 8. This can be handy for Windows 8 users too since they do not have options to disable those active corners. Right click on the tray icon to change application options and behavior. You can change the following settings:
- Run at startup - will run the application every time Windows starts.
- Hide tray icon - will hide the tray icon of application. The application will remember this setting and will not show the tray icon even when you restart it. To show it again, run Winaero Charms Bar Killer once again.
- Kill Charms Bar - will disable the top right corner and the bottom right corner in Windows 8.1 and Windows 8.
- Kill Top Left Corner - will disable the top left corner (switcher).
Please note: after you have disabled these active corners, exit the application and restart the Explorer shell to get them back!
Winaero Charms Bar Killer supports the following OS:
- Windows 8.1 x86
- Windows 8.1 x64
- Windows 8 x86
- Windows 8 x64
No separate version for x64 is required, the application works well on both versions.
Download the app from here: Winaero Charms Bar Killer
Note: Charms Bar Killer only disables the charms for the mouse hot corners. To disable the charms that get activated by touchpad edge swipes, see this article.