Modern tablets and convertibles support screen rotation thanks to built-in hardware sensors. When you turn your device, its desktop may change the display to a portrait or landscape orientation. This is very useful, because you will always see your software from the right angle. There is a way to lock the rotation, so the display will remain in a portrait or landscape orientation regardless of your device's position.
The automatic screen rotation feature is very useful. However, there are a number of situations when it can be annoying. The best example is when you are lying in your bed with your tablet and reading something. Once you change the screen angle a little, the device suddenly changes the screen orientation. This is very disturbing. That's why you may want to temporarily lock the screen rotation.
In Windows 10, you can use of the methods listed below.
To disable Screen Rotation in Windows 10, do the following.
- Open the Action Center. You can tap on its icon in the system tray (notification area).
- In the Action Center, tap on the quick action button "Rotation lock" to enable it.
- Later, you can unlock the screen rotation feature using the same button.
Tip: If you have a keyboard connected to your device, you can use the Win + A shortcut keys to quickly open the Action Center.
Also, there is a dedicated hotkey to toggle enable the Rotation lock. Just press Win + O.
There are a number of alternative methods.
Disable Screen Rotation in Windows 10 Settings
- Open the Settings app.
- Go to System -> Display.
- On the right, turn on the option Rotation lock.
- The screen rotation feature is now disabled.
Finally, if required, you can apply a Registry tweak. Here is how.
Disable Screen Rotation with a Registry tweak
Note: You must be signed in with an administrative account to continue.
- Open the Registry Editor app.
- Go to the following Registry key.
See how to go to a Registry key with one click.
- On the right, create a new 32-Bit DWORD value Enable.
Note: Even if you are running 64-bit Windows you must still create a 32-bit DWORD value.
Set its value data to 1 to enable the feature. A value data of 0 will disable it.
- To make the changes done by the Registry tweak take effect, you need to sign out and sign in again to your user account.
To save your time, you can download the following Registry files: