The Vivaldi browser developers who intend to make it a powerful replacement for the now abandoned Opera 12 have released a new weekly build of their browser. Unlike many previous builds, changes in Vivaldi 18.104.22.168 are notable for the regular user as they are not only under the hood but also in the user interface. Let's take a closer look.
The ability to manage search engines
The ability to disable colorful tabs
This is the most requested change by Vivaldi users. Many of them did not like the way the browser picked the frame color for the opened page, based on the color of the favicon. Earlier, when you disabled the colorful tabs feature, Vivaldi used a bright red color instead of the calculated color. Personally, I never liked that red color. Starting with build 22.214.171.124, the Vivaldi browser will use a less glaring, grey color instead of the bright red color. Untick the option "Color Active Tab" in preferences and check out your favorite page:
Tabs now have a border
Many users also complained that it is hard to tell where the tab ends, as tabs had no border around them. With Vivaldi 126.96.36.199, tabs now have a nice tiny border which separates tabs from each other.
Improved mouse gestures
In Vivaldi browser's Setttings, there appear to be new options dedicated to mouse gestures. You can see which mouse gestures are available in the browser and what they do. In the near future, it will be possible to assign your own gestures. Developers say that all you need to do is draw a gesture and assign an action to it.
The rest of the changes include improved spatial navigation and several bug fixes. You will find the complete change log as always below.
Download Vivaldi 188.8.131.52
- Windows 32-bit
- Windows 64-bit (still experimental)
- Linux RPM 32-bit
- Linux RPM 64-bit
- Linux DEB 32-bit
- Linux DEB 64-bit
The complete change log for Vivaldi 184.108.40.206:
- VB-6099 — Paste as plaintext grayed out
- VB-6097 — Paste and Go menu item missing on main Mac menu
- VB-6089 — Improve usability of adding URLs to "startup with specific pages"
- VB-6047 — Spatial navigation results in slow scroll
- VB-6025 — Spatial nav does not go into article with teasers at Heise
- VB-5925 — Fixes around V menu regressions
- VB-6120 — V-menu button overlaps panel when you have native view and tabs and address bar at the bottom
- VB-6107 — Vivaldi not asking for admin rights during update when installed for "all users"
- VB-6031 — "Restore settings" button had wrong position when Settings maximized
- VB-6003 — Keyboard settings titles splitted
- VB-5886 — CTRL + U opens tab in HTML code instead of underline text in textfield
- VB-5627 — Importing bookmarks from Opera 15+ only imports “Bookmarks Bar” folder
- VB-5436 — spatial nav shortcuts for open link in new/background tab don't work
- VB-5405 — Shortcuts for selecting to beginning/end of line overwritten on Mac
- VB-5184 — View menu string not seperated for Mac
- VB-2357 — Mac does not detect pepper flash
- VB-6159 — Settings page category sidebar layout is defective
- VB-6153 — Prevent closing a pinned tab with either the middle mouse button or a double click
- VB-5990 — Spatial navigation should support menu key
- VB-5919 — Focus in address bar lost when switching tabs/text selection is not removed
- VB-5828 — Search dropdown/url dropdown does not go away when clicking on a tab
- VB-4153 — Increase list of spatial navigation targets to all interactive elements
- VB-3417 — Address is not loaded back to the address field if it is erased
- VB-6179 — Add elements with tabindex & as spatial navigation targets
- VB-6167 — Auto-update on Mac should check on startup, like the Win version
- VB-5244 — Speed dial doesn't animate correctly between groups/tabs
- VB-6042 — Spatial Navigation can't focus textarea
- VB-2526 — Search engine url field too small in existing search engine settings
- VB-934 — Need better management of search engines