Telegram Messenger has been available on multiple platforms for years now, including Android, iOS, Windows PC and Windows Phone. Sadly, the current app for Microsoft platforms is not universal and runs only on mobile devices, while desktop users had to download a classic Win32 version of the client from the official site. Yesterday a Universal Windows Platform (UWP) version has also become available to install from the Windows Store. But this has been made possible with the help of the official Microsoft Desktop App Converter tool.
Right now it's unclear if Telegram Desktop developers are using any of the Universal Windows Platform features in their converted app but having the ability to download and manage it like any other Universal app is certainly a nice addition by itself. The app will also be able to auto update via Store but knowing how the certification process works, these updates will be released more rarely than the ones for a standalone desktop/Win32 app.
The current release highlights these features:
- Fast: Telegram is the fastest messaging app on the market because it uses a distributed infrastructure with data centers positioned around the globe to connect users to the closest possible server.
- Secure We made it our mission to provide the best security among mass messengers. Telegram heavily encrypts all your data with time-tested algorithms.
- Cloud Storage: Telegram seamlessly syncs across all your devices, so you can always securely access your data. Your message history is stored for free in the Telegram cloud. Never lose your data again!
- Group Chat & Sharing: With Telegram, you can form large group chats of up to 200 members, send broadcasts to up to 100 contacts at a time, quickly share large videos, documents (.doc, .ppt, .zip, etc.), and send an unlimited amount of photos to your friends.
- Reliable: Built to deliver your messages in the minimum bytes possible, Telegram is the most reliable messaging system ever made. It works even on the weakest mobile connections.
- 100% free and no ads: Telegram is free and will always be free. We are not going to sell ads or introduce subscription fees.
- Privacy: We take your privacy seriously and will never give third parties access to your data.
It's possible that in future releases, Telegram will get even more integrated with the OS with new APIs available to converted apps. But for now it's just easier to find and install it from the Store.